Traditional Chinese Acupuncture involves the insertion of hair-thin needles into the skin along energy channels known as meridians. The goal is to redirect the flow of energy (Qi) in the body to treat disease. It has been practiced for over 2500 years in China and has become a recognized therapeutic intervention in the Western world for a variety of physiological and psychological aliments.
Functional Dry Needling is a Westernized form of acupuncture that involves the insertion of needles deeper into the soft-tissues with the goal of targeting the specific anatomical structures believed to be the underlying cause of the musculoskeletal dysfunction. Dry needling involves the insertion of acupuncture needles directly into muscle trigger points. Trigger points are tight, hyper-irritated bands of muscle that form as a result of trauma, either in the form of repetitive strain or acute injury. Trigger points can result in local or referred pain, including headaches, limitations in strength, flexibility, range of motion, circulation and nerve conduction. No drug is injected with either traditional acupuncture or dry needling. The needles alone create the beneficial effects.
Dr. Dawn Burt is our studio Functional Dry Needling expert and is extremely proficient at helping patient's to feel better fast!
The benefits of Functional Dry Needling include:
- Decreased pain and tightness in the muscles themselves and the tendons
- Decreased muscle tension, improved flexibility and joint range of motion
- Improved muscle function and nerve firing
- Natural, drug-free healing
How it works:
- Increasing blood flow, in turn bringing oxygen and nutrients to the affected area to assist in the natural healing process of the injured tissues.
- Restoring and regulating muscle activity and muscle firing patterns.
- Breaking-up adhesions between body tissues that often result in pain and feelings of tightness and reduced flexibility.
- Reducing or even eliminating pain by causing the body to release natural painkillers called “endorphins”, which block the passage of pain signals to the brain.
As a Chiropractor, Dr. Dawn’s focus is on neuro-musculo-skeletal conditions. Dr. Dawn has successfully treated patients with conditions ranging from jaw pain, neck pain, headaches, sciatica, knee pain, muscle trigger points and shoulder pain. To learn more about Functional Dry Needling and how it may benefit you book your acupuncture consultation with Dr. Dawn today!